Jibble

Author Topic: Need walkcycle help  (Read 1281 times)

InCreator

• Useless since 2003
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with play testing
Need walkcycle help
« on: 14 Jul 2011, 22:43 »
Spend last 3 hours animating and fixing this character.

Problem is, I realized that I'm unable to predict logical movement of clothing and result sucks pretty much as you can see:

2x:

Also, he's all over the place, which isn't good also. How to make him more static and less under ecstasy?
So I need a help with this. What I'm not going to do is reduce colors or number of frames. I just want to learn to do it right.

Here's sheet too, 32 by 64px, 10 frames

And here's proof that clothing can be done perfectly with proper skills or japanese passport:

Any professional help?
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 22:46 by InCreator+ »

Darius Poyer

• Darius Poyer worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Need walkcycle help
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2011, 14:53 »
My suggestion is to use less colors and less frames, entirely what you didn't want... But i think that would help alot.

I fixed the alignment of the back for the gif.

and heres the same one with frame 6 removed. I'll get to that later.

About the colors
I can see why you want many colors in the final product but while developing that you should use just a simple one color shading for each leg to simplify the process. Even when polishing that up I think the most you should do is add a transitional color as a kind of AA between the shadow and highlight. I really don't think anything else is needed.

The Animation.
10 frames is a bit much I think. I removed frame 6 because I didn't think it helped the animation at all. Whenever I've animated walk-cycles I find that the point where the legs overtake each-other is a very fast transition and in this case, the sixth frame had very little movement in it at that crucial time. Overall, I think 8 frames is a good mark for any walkcycle.
Additionally, where the foot makes contact with the floor, in this case its in frame 4 and 9, the foot really shouldn't go further down at that point, I made that change in the gif's as well, although I accidentally used a full transparency instead of the black on the shoes, it should still read though.

EDIT: completely not professional help by the way.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 14:58 by Darius Poyer »

InCreator

• Useless since 2003
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:12 »
Thank you :)

Redrew pants shading using your fixes and added arms to the cocktail. Also set black color to 5,5,5 RGB so no more gif problems.

2x:

Also discovered a cool technique for opposing arm: I simply animated right hand on different layer, then converted to gif, reversed, and put every frame back, behind body layer.

(And that Ctrl+0 fixes firefox zoom so 1:1 images aren't blurry anymore to display here, windows key and plus helps further (Vista/7))

It's quite fine now to my eye, exceeded animating schedule quadruple times anyway and would work well I think.... Game Maker is absolutely awesome if it comes to testing out animations quickly
but head sort of stands out now, and doesn't feel as "alive" and fluid as rest of the body during motion.

Any tips here?
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 19:25 by InCreator+ »

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

• Mittens Serf
  • GARBAAAAAGE DAAAAAAY!
    • I can help with characters
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:25 »
The main thing you need to be wary of is proportions.  The size of the feet, the length of the lower leg, the width all change between frames on the animation and that distorts any attempts you can make at a decent animation, so this should be your FIRST point of focus.

Work on establishing continuity between the frames and shapes.  This is NUMBER ONE.

Another thing the animation shows me is you're leaping into the pool before establishing depth.  You've gone all out with a detailed 10 frame animation but haven't nailed down continuity or flow between frames.  This is a big no-no and is only going to bring you trouble.

1.  What I've done here is smooth out the differences in continuity as much as I could between the frames, reducing the distortion of his legs (both width and height) as well as keeping the size of his shoes relatively consistent.

2.  Another issue was his stride.  His legs were swinging too far forward while only going a short distance behind, making him look like he was 'skipping' forward a bit.  I compensated for this by widening his back stride a pixel.

3.  He was dragging his right foot forward rather than lifting it, which I fixed.

4.  Tilted his torso forward somewhat so he didn't appear so rigid in posture.  Most people lean into their stride so this is not at all strange.

5.  Added some wire arms just to get a complete vision of movement going and added some torso shading as he brings the shoulders back and forth.  You can make the up swing more subtle than this, obviously, this was just an illustration to see some arm motion to go with the legs.

6.  Added a down step and a sustained up-step.  You can also do the reverse (2 down 1 up) if you want, though this results in a more relaxed appearance imo.

I've seen your edit below and it doesn't really address the issues I've covered here so this should still help you.  I'm being 100% serious when I say you need to work on the continuity of shapes FIRST.  Trust me on this.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 19:28 by ProgZmax »

InCreator

• Useless since 2003
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:31 »
The main thing you need to be wary of is proportions.  The size of the feet, the length of the lower leg, the width all change between frames on the animation and that distorts any attempts you can make at a decent animation, so this should be your FIRST point of focus.

How? Do I divide feet into two different-colored bits and stick-animate while measuring their size all the time or-- how?

It's not the animating I cannot do but technique I don't have.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

• Mittens Serf
  • GARBAAAAAGE DAAAAAAY!
    • I can help with characters
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:37 »
Well, I suppose you could animate it as a stick design first.  It's not something I do, but it works for some people.  The main thing is just to constantly reference the PREVIOUS FRAME for guidance on how to maintain shapes, so after you draw the first frame of the animation and start on the second, go back and reference the shape of the shoes and where the bend in the knee is, etc, and translate that over.  Then do the same for the third frame (referencing the second) and on until you are done.  After a dozen or so of these you won't even need to do this because continuity will become a force of habit, though you'll always want to do tweaks here and there with the final animation.

I'd help you more if I could but I'm not an art instructor;  every trick I've ever learned came from reading, practice, or making LOADS OF MISTAKES.  Maybe a book on classical animation would help?

Edit:  If your animation program has ONION SKINNING as an option, this will greatly help you to maintain continuity as you can see a transparent image of the previous/next frame projected onto your current one.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 19:42 by ProgZmax »

InCreator

• Useless since 2003
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2011, 20:55 »
I usually draw as a strip, but can use layers to onion-skin. I'll try this, thanks.