Author Topic: Fortnightly Writing Competition - Extras - WINNER CHOSEN!  (Read 4435 times)

Eric

• Rottwheelers
    • I can help with story design
I recently revisited one of my favorite plays, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, by Tom Stoppard, and Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys. Both works utilize minor characters from more widely known works (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Shakespeare's HamletJane Eyre, respectively), offering new stories that add to, or even subvert the meanings of the original works.

Your mission this month, should you choose to accept it, is to tell a new short piece featuring a pre-existing minor or supporting character. Bonus points if your own tale contributes new meaning to the stories those characters come from.

As this is a mere forum competition, I won't limit you to public domain works, so feel free to write stories about anyone from Planchet in the Three Musketeers, to Victor Tourjansky (the drunk tourist whose vacations James Bond always interrupts), to Wally from Monkey Island.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2012, 06:49 by Eric »

Sane Co.

• Less wrong.
I can't wait, count me in.

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    • I can help with voice acting
    • CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Cool idea, if I can find time I'll write something for this.

CaptainD

•  
useless, it is futile

budgerigar

An odd little tale that I had a bit too much fun with  ;)
-----

We huddle together in the darkness, as if we had choice in the matter- the confines of this place are almost comically small. A sharp, metallic tang pervades the air, but as we wait, as we have done for seemingly countless days, it has been slowly joined by what is by now a near-tangible sense of foreboding. We have done nothing to deserve this. We have done nothing, period. And we continue to do nothing until the moment an unnatural hush settles heavily upon us and we finally hear the sound we have been dreading.

He is coming.

Everyone is still... waiting, hoping that he passes us over. But we have no blood on our lintels, and our moments are numbered. And then that number reaches zero.

One by one we are forced out, violently, that unspeakable noise announcing the moment each blinks into nothingness. Some try to take grim hope that perhaps our fate is not pointless, and by giving up our existence we are, in a small way, helping others to continue on. But I see their silver lining for what it is: insult to injury. There is nothing noble about this forced sacrifice. The good of the one does not take precedence over the good of the many, and if it takes a hundred of us to even make the smallest difference... I know with every fiber of my being that it is not right, it is not just.

Once even I was tempted to feel some sympathy for the sad little man who batters this world at his whim, but in my final moments my heart is hardened and my resolve is steeled.

I curse you, Italian plumber. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

voh

• Awww. Yeah.
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
Interesting... I'll spend some time to see if I can come up with something :)
Still here.

CaptainD

•  
@ budgerigar - clever, I liked it - although I'm not completely sure Super Mario Bros counts as a work of literature?!?  ;D :P :P

Sane Co.

• Less wrong.
I have something in the works, It might be a while though, I hope I have time to get it done.

budgerigar

@ budgerigar - clever, I liked it - although I'm not completely sure Super Mario Bros counts as a work of literature?!?  ;D :P :P

Heh, thank you. And while I certainly took liberties with "work" and definitely with "character"... I don't see "literature" specified 0:)

But, if you insist...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Mario-Brothers-Fantail-Strasser/dp/0140900373
 ;D

Sane Co.

• Less wrong.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2012, 18:21 by Sane Co. »

CaptainD

•  
I am finished. Sorry for choosing something you don't know about. This is based off of Lewis Carol's (The maker of the "Alice in Wonderland" book.) poem: "The Hunting of the Snark."

I'm sorry for knowing about something you were sorry about me not knowing about.  ;D ;D

Sane Co.

• Less wrong.
I meant to add "probably," but now that won't even work.
So I'm sorry for making you think that I thought that you most certainly didn't know about it.   ;D ;D

Eric

• Rottwheelers
Just a little over 24 hours left in this competition! We've got three strong entries thus far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the vote goes on this. Would anyone else like to toss their work into the mix?

Eric

• Rottwheelers
Coming down to the wire on this one...!

Eric

• Rottwheelers
Well, folks, midnight my time has just passed, and so I'm calling this one over. Let the voting commence! Who will be the victor?

Will it be CaptainD with his examination of Vogonity?

Will it be budgerigar with his expose on the true nature of Italian plumber war criminals?

Or will it be SaneCo. with the return of the crafty Boojum?

I'm going to reserve my vote for a tiebreak scenario. You guys all did spectacularly, in my opinion!

CaptainD

•  
Ah man... the other 2 entries were great, I feel bad not voting for Sane but honestly I loved the exploration of one of those poor critters who get bounced to death by the fat Italian plumber, so I'm voting for budgerigar this time.

(Oh and I hadn't read the rules properly, Eric's rules did say something about Wally from Monkey Island so clearly computer game characters are allowed!  ;D)

Sane Co.

• Less wrong.
I vote for Captain D. Not quite Douglas Adams, but close.

Eric

• Rottwheelers
Re: Fortnightly Writing Competition - Extras - VOTE NOW!
« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2012, 17:13 »
I'm going to let voting continue through Tuesday. Hopefully we can get a few more readers/voters in here!

Eric

• Rottwheelers
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:35 »
It would be wonderful if we could attract a few more reader-voters for this fortnightly comp, and I hope no one minds if I bump for a last-day boost?

kconan

• After⇐---—---⇒Before
« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:05 »
  I vote for Sane Co.