Author Topic: OROW 9 takes place August 24th-30th, discussion thread.  (Read 7145 times)

Stupot

• I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with voice acting
Re: OROW 9 discussion, what time suits you best?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2015, 00:31 »
I think the poll should stand (although I admit I am biased because it's currently in my favour :-P ). It's supposed to be a gauge of what week is most suitable for the most people. Whatever the result there are going to be some people who can't do it for some reason, whether that reason be Mittens or something else. What matters is the number of people who can take part. The more the merrier and all that. (nod)

LimpingFish

• Mittens Serf
  • Boink!
    • LimpingFish worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:07 »
OROW has never had a topic, and I really don't see the point of having one now. OROW has always been about creativity, spontaneity, and seven days of madness!

Something like "A carrot must be a part of the game"...maybe even a character called Arthur Carrot...

Wouldn't that just give us a false sense security? Changing a character name, or substituting one object for another, wouldn't take much work and could easily be accomplished within the time limit. It certainly wouldn't prove that somebody didn't cheat.

And besides, even if people cheat: it's not about winning, it's about competing and having fun...

Indeed.

Cheaters suck, but adding artificial constraints, on the off-chance that somebody might cheat, isn't the way to go.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller

Radiant

• Return once more to the Two Kingdoms!
    • I can help with publishing
    • Radiant worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Radiant worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2015, 07:27 »
It's not about cheating, it's about having a theme. Setting a nice theme will encourage more people to join than just a "yeah, do whatever" event.

Bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • I can help with making music
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2015, 11:19 »
Wouldn't that just give us a false sense security? Changing a character name, or substituting one object for another, wouldn't take much work and could easily be accomplished within the time limit. It certainly wouldn't prove that somebody didn't cheat.
It's not about cheating, it's about having a theme. Setting a nice theme will encourage more people to join than just a "yeah, do whatever" event.
^This^

I've given this a lot of thought now, and I've decided that there will be some sort of vague topic. We have this discussion every single time there is an OROW (at least to my memory), and it would be interesting to try out. There are three reasons for it being a good idea:

1) It's nice to have something tying the games together. Even if it's just a carrot.
2) Something that seems to always happen is that the OROW starts, and people wonder why there's no theme. They feel uninspired and don't join.
3) While it's not there to prevent cheating, you could use it to prove you didn't cheat. Nobody's going to think anybody cheated, but if it's that easy to cheat I can see some people getting discouraged from entering. Like here you could build the entire story around carrots.

It's not there to prevent cheating, it's there to foster creativity. The fact is, I don't care if anybody does cheat, that's on their conscience.

A topic might be a bad idea, but then we will know that for future OROWs.

xil

• xil worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2015, 13:19 »
^This^

AdventureJam was a 2 week "yeah, do whatever" event and had 89 entries. Having a topic is just like voting on the days to do the event, some people will be busy, others wont, just like the fact some people will join because they are inspired by a topic and others will not join because the topic is restrictive and uninspiring.

1) It's nice to have something tying the games together. Even if it's just a carrot.

I think a carrot would be an example of something that is far too precise. My idea of a vague topic is not using something physical but to use something like a feeling or description (e.g. pain or colourful). This way people can interpret the theme and apply it across a wider spectrum. I also think that a topic vote would be a good way to go. Just like the days, if that's the time most people can do it then so be it, if my game has to have a carrot in it because 20 people wanted carrot as the topic, then fair enough, carrot it is!
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Chicky

• Chicky worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2015, 19:33 »
Not fussed on the dates, so i'll forgo voting but... YAY OROWC! ^^

Andail

• Global Moderator
  • Cultured man of mystery
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • Andail worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2015, 20:46 »
Good initiative, and I'm definitely in favour of a theme.

I think having to take certain criteria into consideration when creating something is great practise, and it also gives the entire competition a nice sense of unity. I love the "ah, that's how they managed to incorporate the laser shark into the the plot" feeling.

Bulbapuck

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2015, 21:10 »
I think the poll should stand (although I admit I am biased because it's currently in my favour :-P ). It's supposed to be a gauge of what week is most suitable for the most people. Whatever the result there are going to be some people who can't do it for some reason, whether that reason be Mittens or something else. What matters is the number of people who can take part. The more the merrier and all that. (nod)

Agreed, however in case of a tie I'll definitely take it into consideration and I've also left a note in the first post letting people who vote know about this.

I think a carrot would be an example of something that is far too precise. My idea of a vague topic is not using something physical but to use something like a feeling or description (e.g. pain or colourful). This way people can interpret the theme and apply it across a wider spectrum. I also think that a topic vote would be a good way to go. Just like the days, if that's the time most people can do it then so be it, if my game has to have a carrot in it because 20 people wanted carrot as the topic, then fair enough, carrot it is!

True, maybe a carrot was a poor example. But I would honestly let you get away with a random carrot being in the game not having anything to do with the plot. :p

Either case, it should be more of a "key word" rather than a topic.

Voting is an interesting idea. Another idea could be to have the winners of the last one, Pablo and qptain nemo, decide in case they're not entering. I'll have to think about that.

It's awesome to see all this interest by the way ^^

Radiant

• Return once more to the Two Kingdoms!
    • I can help with publishing
    • Radiant worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Radiant worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2015, 22:24 »
I believe OROW traditionally has several categories that a game could "win" in? There is a famous contest that has a tongue-in-cheek "worst abuse of the rules" award... we could have something like that for people that do the silliest thing to include the theme :P

LimpingFish

• Mittens Serf
  • Boink!
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2015, 02:57 »
It's not there to prevent cheating, it's there to foster creativity. The fact is, I don't care if anybody does cheat, that's on their conscience.

Well, it was about cheating, as noted in earlier posts. And if the theme is revealed on OROW-Eve, then it kind of is about cheating. I still don't think we need one, though, and don't necessarily agree it will encourage more entries or foster creativity.

I personally like the feeling of a totally blank canvas looming up before me, with just seven days to fill it. I dislike the feeling of having to work an idea into something that conforms to a predetermined notion, however vague. Hence (one reason for) my lack of interest in participating in MAGS, and my attempts (successful and otherwise) to participate in most OROWs that I've been present for. But if people are in favour of a theme, then let's have a theme.

I vow to include it in the most pointless, throwaway manner I can conceive of! :P

Voting is an interesting idea.

We always vote, don't we? Didn't I win...something...way back when? To the Wiki!

EDIT: I did! Hooray!

xil

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2015, 02:59 »

We always vote, don't we? Didn't I win...something...way back when? To the Wiki!

Bulbapuck was replying to my idea of voting for a topic :)
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

LimpingFish

• Mittens Serf
  • Boink!
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2015, 03:11 »

Bulbapuck was replying to my idea of voting for a topic :)

Oh. Then...I...(cough)...nevermind.:-[

Vince Twelve

• Dog
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2006, for 'What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed'
    • I can help with scripting
    • Vince Twelve worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Vince Twelve worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2015, 14:44 »
Yay, I love playing OROW games.  I also love telling myself that I'm going to join and then having that dream crushed by work and family life.

MiteWiseacreLives!

• Hold onto your Fossils!
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jun 2015, 03:23 »
Yay, I love playing OROW games.  I also love telling myself that I'm going to join and then having that dream crushed by work and family life.
Wait, you mean Resonance wasn't an OROW game ??? How long did you spend on that game 8-0
Spoiler: ShowHide
 ;) (laugh)

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • I'm back, baby!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Ponch worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jun 2015, 17:13 »
maybe a carrot was a poor example.
Nonsense. My game shall have a carrot! :=

xil

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jun 2015, 17:29 »

Well now I just feel bad and whatever the theme I'm going to have to include a carrot aren't I!

Bulbapuck

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jun 2015, 20:06 »
Sorry, last few weeks of my master thesis so I'm not visiting this thread as ofter as I should. I'll try to stay updated as best I can.
I believe OROW traditionally has several categories that a game could "win" in? There is a famous contest that has a tongue-in-cheek "worst abuse of the rules" award... we could have something like that for people that do the silliest thing to include the theme :P

I LOVE this idea. :grin:

Well, it was about cheating, as noted in earlier posts. And if the theme is revealed on OROW-Eve, then it kind of is about cheating. I still don't think we need one, though, and don't necessarily agree it will encourage more entries or foster creativity.

I personally like the feeling of a totally blank canvas looming up before me, with just seven days to fill it. I dislike the feeling of having to work an idea into something that conforms to a predetermined notion, however vague. Hence (one reason for) my lack of interest in participating in MAGS, and my attempts (successful and otherwise) to participate in most OROWs that I've been present for. But if people are in favour of a theme, then let's have a theme.

While some people wanted to include a theme because it would exclude cheating, that's not at all the reason we're having one. In fact, if we do go ahead with the whole voting thing it won't really prevent cheating. However as it might still be a concern to people it seems natural to postpone presenting the theme until the competition starts. I personally wouldn't mind deciding the theme now, my goal is not to prevent any cheating but rather to create a fun event for everyone, and it does seem that a majority wants to have a theme. Either way I think it's a good idea to try it as this discussion always comes up.

I vow to include it in the most pointless, throwaway manner I can conceive of! :P

That's the spirit! xD

Story of my life, except instead of work I have school and instead of family I have lazyness :p
Completely off topic, but I remember "Anna" being the first OROW game I ever played and it's kinda the reason I got super excited about this event in the first plaace, which in turn lead to my biggest pride as a developer: Makinga half-decent orow game. So thank you for that :)

Well now I just feel bad and whatever the theme I'm going to have to include a carrot aren't I!

Yes you do, only you though ;)

AJA

• AJA worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #37 on: 30 Jun 2015, 20:14 »
Ooooh. So tempting. Unfortunately for me, the dates currently leading the poll are right in the middle of a big work deadline chaos. But at least I'll get to play all the games you guys make!

Holy crap, it's been four years since my last OROW and ten years since my first. So, this is basically the 10 year anniversary of OROW? WOOO! :=

Bulbapuck

Re: OROW 9 takes place August 24th-30th, discussion thread.
« Reply #38 on: 02 Jul 2015, 23:05 »
Ooooh. So tempting. Unfortunately for me, the dates currently leading the poll are right in the middle of a big work deadline chaos. But at least I'll get to play all the games you guys make!
Sporting of you to give the other participants a chance!

Holy crap, it's been four years since my last OROW and ten years since my first. So, this is basically the 10 year anniversary of OROW? WOOO! :=
Wow really? That's awesome :grin:

And now an announcement: With voting closed I can announce that the OROW will take place on August 24th-30th, thank you all for voting!

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • I'm back, baby!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Ponch worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: OROW 9 takes place August 24th-30th, discussion thread.
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jul 2015, 23:56 »
And now an announcement: With voting closed I can announce that the OROW will take place on August 24th-30th, thank you all for voting!
Excellent! I shall begin work on my game tonight! :=