Jibble

Author Topic: Text Based RPG Games - Anyone Still Play?  (Read 1188 times)

aryianna

Text Based RPG Games - Anyone Still Play?
« on: 30 Aug 2015, 22:43 »
I'm curious if anyone still plays text based RPG games? I'm still quite keen on them and don't really care about the flashy graphics necessarily. If you do still play what aspects keep you interested. Is it the roleplaying? The ability to have your actions write the games story as it moves along? For me it is the immersive community that comes with it. Where I play is not a set group of quests but great PVP, legion warfare with many aspects to it, farming and labours skills for those who enjoy helping build their personal wealth or helping city or guild growth.
(Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

mkennedy

Re: Text Based RPG Games - Anyone Still Play?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2015, 03:25 »
Do multi user dungeons (MUDs) count as Text Based RPGs? I play some of those fairly frequently.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2015, 10:27 »
I used to play Archea (?) quite a bit back in the day. That MUD rocks! But insanely complicated to learn and be good at.

Radiant

• Return once more to the Two Kingdoms!
    • I can help with publishing
    • I can help with story design
    • Radiant worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Radiant worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2015, 12:31 »
I used to be a bit of a MUD addict, but then I went cold turkey on it. I think that's about ten years ago. This is also why I don't do WOW.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2015, 12:46 »
I used to be a bit of a MUD addict, but then I went cold turkey on it. I think that's about ten years ago. This is also why I don't do WOW.

Hahaha....Exactly my story...Quit about ten years ago...Also too scared to play WoW and/or Minecraft as I know I'd get addicted again!

That's not even mentioning my shameful RuneScape addiction where I spent weeks working my character's mining skill up to Master level so I could enter the special mining area and then wondered why the heck I'd even bothered and quit...

Hehehe...I wonder if that account is still alive...man...I had sooooooooo much money. Probably not a huge ammount anymore though I guess...

Azure

• boop
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2015, 13:01 »
Interactive fiction is very healthy right now. I highly recommend 80 days if you haven't played it already.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors