Jibble

Author Topic: Which are your favourite horror adventure games? (indie or not)  (Read 2464 times)

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with translating
Part of the reason i found this program (AGS) and forum was a couple of very nice horror games i saw made with it... (both featuring cats, btw ;) ).

Of the non-indie adventure horror games, i always liked the first part of Gabriel Knight 1. Harvester, and Phantasmagoria, look very nice, but i have only watched videos of those...

Sanitarium was also very good, although due to a bug i only could play up to the scarecrow, ie only a few chapters into the game... Yet: "Diagnosis? Crazy!" ;)
Join the Neo-Byzantine Society; partake in high culture; click this hotspot!

Stupot

• I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with voice acting
Hi. I really like those first-person horror games like Barrow Hill, The Lost Crown and Dark Fall, if you haven't already tried them. Scratches is great too, although I never finished it because it made my laptop overheat :-/

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Studio Release:

Dark Seed 1 & Dark Seed 2 (H.R.Giger point and click)
Shadow Of The Comet (Lovecraft classic point and click)
The Lurking Horror (Infocom text adventure)

Indie:

Anchorhead (Lovecraft text adventure)

AGS:

Chronicle Of Innsmouth (Lovecraft point and click....In production. Demo available.)
Donna: Avenger of Blood (Vampire point and click. Full game here)
Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos (5 days a stranger etc)
Ben Jordan Series (Not 100% horror, a bit more supernatural/investigative, but has some pretty horrific moments at points)

(will add more later)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2016, 15:39 by Mandle »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with scripting
I've never really found a decent horror game. At least, in my opinion. The best horror games I've ever found, are usually just horror levels in non-horror games.
The simple matter is, horror games usually take themselves too seriously while introducing laughable game mechanics.

As for horror adventure games. I usually stick with comedy adventure games, so my experience with horror adventure games is limited at best.
I suppose there is one horror adventure game that I absolutely love... but it's not a point and click adventure game, so I'm hesitant to even call it an adventure game for that reason alone.

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
Studio Release:

Dark Seed 1 & Dark Seed 2 (H.R.Giger point and click)
Shadow Of The Comet (Lovecraft classic point and click)
The Lurking Horror (Infocom text adventure)

Indie:

Anchorhead (Lovecraft text adventure)

AGS:

Chronicle Of Innsmouth (Lovecraft point and click....In production. Demo available.)
Donna: Avenger of Blood (Vampire point and click)

(will add more later)

You should have provided a link for the demo, cause i am interested in playing that and having a look! I am trying to create my own demo of a point n click horror adventure in AGS :D

Mandle

You should have provided a link for the demo, cause i am interested in playing that and having a look!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51243.0

Also updated post to include link

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
Thanks! The screens look nice :D

A problem may be that the story is already well-known, though...!

Mandle

Thanks! The screens look nice :D

A problem may be that the story is already well-known, though...!

The game is not a literal retelling of the story: More a tribute with some respectful humour, an adventure game feel, and a plot that separates from the original story and becomes its own...

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
Cool :D

A bit like Shadow of the Comet then..

Mandle

Cool :D

A bit like Shadow of the Comet then..

Yes....Quite a bit like that....And the authors would love the comparison I feel somehow... ;)

Stee

• hatch?
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with web design
Phantasmagoria scared the crap out of me when I was 10 and I haven't grown a pair to play it again. Think it was:
Spoiler: ShowHide
 The ghost baby in the cot that did it for me

AGS wise, you can't go wrong with Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos (5 days a stranger etc)
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Mandle

AGS wise, you can't go wrong with Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos (5 days a stranger etc)

Good call and I 100% agree:

Adding to my list...

Haggis

• Cavefish
  • I've made a huge mistake
    • Haggis worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Does 7th Guest count? I loved that game, and the soundtrack.

Blondbraid

I've never really found a decent horror game. At least, in my opinion. The best horror games I've ever found, are usually just horror levels in non-horror games.
The simple matter is, horror games usually take themselves too seriously while introducing laughable game mechanics.
I sort of agree with some of your points, the game that has scared me the most is probably Alice: Madness returns and that game is a hack and slash/platform game!
The horror of that game doesn't come from the mechanics, but from the story, that handles some very dark subjects...

I'm not sure if these games were made in AGS, but I remember a flash game called
Morbid, which had a really great atmosphere. The game was in two chapters
and both of them had intro sequences that really creeped me out the first time I
played them.
http://www.pastelgames.com/morbid/

Shadow1000

AGS:

Donna: Avenger of Blood (Vampire point and click. Full game here)
Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos (5 days a stranger etc)
Ben Jordan Series (Not 100% horror, a bit more supernatural/investigative, but has some pretty horrific moments at points)

(will add more later)

Chronicle Of Innsmouth - The demo looks promising but not enough to really comment.
Donna: Avenger of Blood - I LOVED that game! Easily one of the best full length AGS games made in the past 5 years. Excellent puzzles and well designed story. I posted my thoughts here.
Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos (5 days a stranger etc) - Completely creepy. Very well done horror
Ben Jordan Series - doesn't need my approval ;)

SHADOW

nihilyst

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is a horror adventure based on the short story by Harlan Ellison. It's an episodic adventure and has some really creepy parts, although the ending is almost unbeatable without the help of a walkthrough.

And I have to agree: The horror aspects of none-horror games usually ARE creepier than full-blown horror games, maybe because they cath you off guard. The orphanage level in Thief 3 scared the shit out of me when I first played it, it's just brilliant.